Sunday, August 26, 2007

Linen is Beautiful

I was recently at a garage sale looking for one of these:
And not finding it. However it had this huge table piled high with embroidered linens. There were quite a few that were in bad shape, but I found this set of twelve dinner napkins with the most gorgeous rose embroidered in the corner of each, in perfect condition.
I couldn't resist getting them. And for $2.00 for twelve why would I? Now I just need to throw a dinner party so I can use them!

I also stumbled across these beautiful linen hankies.
They are trimmed with the most delicate lace, and there in the corner is a perfect E. My best friend is having baby girl in a few more weeks and her name is going to start with an E. I have a few things in mind to make with them. it will just take some brain storming.

I do have to add that when I see things like this at garage sales or at estate sales for next to nothing it tugs a bit at my heart. Someone took great care in hand stitching those. There was a lot of love and time spent on them and to see them on a table marked at a insanely low price with no one left to love them and keep them tucked away safe and ready for her next dinner party is a little sad. For now they are washed and pressed and tucked away in my linen closet for some special occasion, the start of new memories for us!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dee Light said...

I just love those linens!!!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least this way, they have a chance to go to a good home. Better than being thrown in the landfill, or gasp, used a dust rags or something.

My mom had that exact coffee pot.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Pink'sModernQuilts said...

sorry to comment on an old post but i'm just catching up on my blog reads...the linens are gorgeous! i've seen where they turn the hankies or napkins into sweet little bonnets!

i have to mention to be careful about the coffee pots. i've had a few of them and when i tried to resale them on ebay they ended my auction early because they said the pots were recalled items. i'm not sure what was the issue for the recall; i never researched it. i'm sure there's a ton on ebay nevertheless...just wanted to give you a heads up!

4:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home