Thursday, November 30, 2006

Awareness

There are certain moments in life when you realize just how much time has passed. And they are scary. Sometimes I would rather walk around in ignorant bliss, not realizing the years that have slipped by me. I guess for a number of reasons,I suppose one of which is making me realize how old I have gotten! Sometimes when you stop to reflect on how many years has passed you realize just how much you missed. Or how much people have changed, both good and bad. There is a great deal that I have missed in the last 10 or 11 years. I wish I hadn't. But the reality of it is, I did. I guess I feel that time has a way of making things seem different than they were.

Eight years ago today, I called to wish my mom a happy birthday. We had just gotten home from the hospital with Little P, who was a whopping 5 pounds at that point. I remember the day being unusually warm for the end of November in New York, at least 65. It was sunny, and gorgeous. We talked for a few minutes, I remember feeling odd, that this was the first birthday that I had not been with her in my whole life. As we were saying good bye, she stopped me in mid sentence, and very quietly asked me what my name was.

My mom would have been 55 today. Brain Tumors are a under researched medical problem. When she was diagnosed, she was given a 5% chance of survival. We were able to have 14 months together, and I am unbelievably thankful for every moment. The research is not supported enough, and there is such little known about the origin and rate of growth of specific types of brain tumors, due to the inability for exploratory surgery because of the locations of the tumors in so many patients.

Duke has The Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center. They strive for a cure, actively researching every moment. If you have ever had this effect your life, you will understand the frustrations that follow the diagnosis. There is a lot of uncertainty where traditional cancer treatments are not effective or quick working enough. The rate that brain tumors can grow is staggering. The doctors at Duke reviewed my mom's case, they were supportive and personal. I would support them to continue their research so more people have a bigger and better fighting chance. My mom was a fighter, right up to that last breath. She would want more people to be better educated about this. Early warning signs are easily overlooked in so many cases or even misdiagnosed, click here are some examples. Take a moment to read, be educated, be aware, be around to celebrate as many birthdays as you can.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

I've been thinking the last couple days about what to write in relation to this post. I still haven't thought of the right thing, but I do want you to know my heart goes out to you. {{{Hugs}}}

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

{{{ Amy }}}

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home