Friday, September 01, 2006

I'm here to fight for truth, and justice, and the American way.

Boots has a new obsession. He is a HUGE Superman fan. I suppose it is every little boys dream to defend droves of people, leap tall buildings in a single bound, be able to deflect bullets with nothing more than his skin. Well every little boy I know anyhow.

With the recent re-imagining of Superman, it's fairly easy to see why Boots would be enamored with this all american icon. Every store that you go into the shelves are overflowing with merchandise, partly because they pimped the hell out of that movie, and partly because superheros in general are on the slow steady rise, and have been ever since they made the first X-Men movie. Really pushed into the main stream anyhow. So, now with it's new found accessibility, admirers of the defenders of the innocent can be outfitted, educated by and entertained by all of their favorite superheros, with greater ease than ever before.

While away on business, our friend Jill found this shirt for Boots.
It's a limited edition and the coolest part of the whole shirt is this... it's on the inside on the back...
A little closer:
Most recently Boots has received a surprise gift from his grandparents in CA, containing this shirt,
And this Superman, complete with crystal thingy (I admit I am not well schooled in the ways of Superman, so back off, I can say thingy if I want to!)
He all so has a major obsession with Spiderman, and with his favorite character being Venom, I feel that we have done justice to the geek world, by correctly schooling the boy. His likes and dislikes come from old school cartoons and graphic novels. He could point out that black suit and nasty lizard like tongue before he could talk.
Before I married Mr. Fantastic, I had never set foot in a comic book store, I had no idea who The Punisher was (whom incidentally, despite the weak ass movie, is my favorite it so far. Being broken myself I get that.) I am not a literary snob, I will read anything, as long as it captures my attention. But chances are, if I had not met him I would never have seen or read this....which was incredible.
I do have the feeling that it has only just begun, and that I have a lot to learn.... so truth, justice and the American way here I come.....

2 Comments:

Blogger Ko Jo said...

Your niece and nephew's "supergirl" and "superboy" costumes have arrived. They are adorable and Goose is beyond excited to wear it, be a superhero, and fly :) So I know where you are coming from.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Jennifer W. said...

I've always been a Batman girl myself. No, not Batgirl ~ The Dark Knight, in all his mysterious caped glory. It's so cute to see kids choose their favorite super hero!

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home