Monday, December 18, 2006

What do you mean, I only have ONE week left?

I am seriously running out of time. I finally decided on a ornament and here he is....
It's pretty simple, clean lines, not a ton of painting and most importantly still homemade, I mean that still counts for something right?????

Here are the ornaments I made two years ago for everyone, all of the cousins got one, I started cross stitching in September.

This one was for Little P ...
This one was for Boots....
And this is one of a set of ornaments that Mr. Fantastic received last year, so a new addition to our tree this year...
Little P went with her class to see Charlotte's Web this morning, she was so excited.
They have been reading the book at school and she had read it before, it is one of her favorite stories. So when they announced that the whole class was picked to go to a special screening, she couldn't have been happier! Boot didn't seem to want to see it, I asked a few times if he wanted to go to, and got a flat no. I can't wait to hear if she had a great time. I have a ton of baking to do and I still have sewing to finish so I wish you all more time or at least hope that you are doing better with your time than I am...

Oh and one last thing, knowing that I don't have much in the way of attachment to material things I do have to say this, there are certain things that just make my heart flutter.

This is one of those things:
It has my name and a Christmas date stitched on the back. It was made by my mom. When I left home and found my own place, she gave me a box of ornaments. One for every year of my life, all hand made, all by her. Every year when I put it on my tree, it makes my heart flutter, just for a moment. I do the same thing for my kids, every year. There is something about the time and energy and love that goes into something like that. I will do the same as long as I am able, my hope is that my children's trees are overflowing with memories, and they get that same joy of getting them out every year.

Some times when the pinch of the season is here, and I realize I have bitten off more than I can chew, I often mutter the words, why do I do this to myself? When I haven't slept for days and the 11th hour is looming over me and I am certain that I cannot stand in one more line, and see one more rude holiday shopper, I remember that box, and the hours she stayed up so late stitching and painting and beading and how much I love getting them out every year, and how much I cherish each and every one of them. It's kind of silly really, how an old box full of ornaments, can bring me back to what is really important.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

Merry Christmas, Friend! Glad you had some time off to spend with your family!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

I liked the title of this post - that is how I felt this year, too! :) I can't believe how big the kids are getting!

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home