Sunday, December 31, 2006

I'm French and Native American, what the Hell do I know about Bricole?

When I married a nice Italian boy, I knew the day would come when I had to learn one of the family recipes. The kind that are passed down from generation to generation. The kind that are talked about with such relish, and passion you have to remind yourself that they are talking about food. These recipes never touch paper, you just learn by what you see. There is no real system for measuring other than, a pinch of this or a dash of that. These are the kind of thing that take you back to a certain place and a certain time in a heart beat. These are also the type of thing that vendettas are built on. So you kind of take a risk when accepting to learn this art.

Mr. Fantastics Aunt, whom I love lives with Grandmama, whom I also love. These are some strong, no nonsense women who are so full of life and love they are about bursting at the seams. It is a extreme pleasure to spend time with them. And very shortly they will be moving much, much closer, so we are all thrilled at the idea of more time together. But I digress, back to the recipe, Mr. Fantastics Aunt made Bricole pronounced (bra-shole). Mr. Fantastic had one bite and practically begged me to learn how to make it. He asks so little, who am I to refuse a man his rolled steak. So I made the call, I wrote it down, relax, to destroy later of course. Then I shopped, I don't eat red meat so this was interesting.... And one tiny question sparked the attention and stories of about twenty people behind the meat counter which compelled them to tell me about their grandmothers recipe and how each one is different. So one short trip to the store, became a hour long story telling session, but just like any other Italian tradition, the food always follows. Out came the coffee and cookies, and some how two glasses of milk materialized in the hands of my children whom were sitting patiently, listening to the stories. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon...

Finally I headed home with my bags full of ingredients and my head full of advice and I managed not to totally screw it up.... See?
I made a turkey one too, not bad....
By the way there is a perfectly good reason why I haven't been posting as much, and here she is:

Pippin is NEEDY!!!! Every time I sit down to write to you all, she insists of having some of my attention. Honestly, who could refuse this???

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my... That looks so good!

2:51 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

interesting...are those hard boiled eggs in your braciole???

i make a mean pork and chicken braciole and this is only b/c the day i went to the store to get the steak, i didn't know what the heck i was looking for (i'm not a big red meat eater either). they didn't have the right one, so i had to call the hubby and ask if this or that steak was the same. so i ended up with pork and chicken.

i fill mine though with italian bread crumbs, minced garlic, seasoning, provolone, and a really good parmasean cheese.

yummm-o!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Miss Bliss said...

Yup, those are hard boiled eggs, it's the way his grandma does it, so it's the way I tried. Yours sounds yummy!!! I would love to try it some time!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

I am very, very proud of you. I'm Italian and I won't make one. :) Of course, there is a 'curse' on my mom and I with making stuffed meat - hahaha. It looks AWESOME! And, of course, LOVE the pictures of Pippin! :)

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home