Monday, June 05, 2006

I have worked since I was 14 years old. Even younger if you count baby-sitting. So it was slightly unnatural to quit a good job after I had Boots.

Let me explain, see when we had Little P, life was very different. We still lived in a college town, Mr. Fantastic was finishing up with his bachelors , and as fate would have it, along came Little P. As a matter of fact, she came a long to early and was a very little Little P. She was just over 5 lbs. when we brought her home to our second story victorian apartment. We were incredibly blessed at the time to have amazing friends. Surprise, surprise, it was three men that came running to the hospital, swooning over our five pound bundle of joy right next to the proud grandparents. It was these incredible men that rearranged their already set school schedules to be with Little P when I went back to work when she was a mere 6 pounds and 8 weeks old. Mr. Fantastic was able to be with her a lot, and these amazing men filled in the gaps. I still remember driving an hour home from work and pulling in to the drive way and looking up at the bay of six, eight feet high windows, to a 6' 4" man cradling my tiny Little P in his arms, pacing the floor in our apartment.

There were a lot of benefits to this. A major one being that men are a lot more aware of every little move a baby makes. Usually because they are some what unsure of everything. They tended not to be as laid back as women, and I needed that. I needed them to be as over protective as I was. I needed to know that if I couldn't be there to hold my tiny little girl then someone else, who loves her would be. Another benefit to this was they were college guys. They were happy to be paid in home cooked meals and brownies! It was the best arrangement possible, that turned out to be life altering for these men, and for us as well.

Where was I? Oh yeah, quitting my job, so my point with all of that incase you didn't get it is I didn't quit my job when we had Little P. When I found out I was pregnant with Boots, we sat down and talked about me staying home, we weighed it all out. And there was a lot to consider. On one side daycare for a 4 year old as well as a newborn. On the other the loss of a almost equal paycheck. In the end I was publicly undecided. I knew I wanted to stay home, I just wasn't sure that I could. As soon as he was born, I took one look at him and decided that I simply couldn't do daycare. I would do what ever I had to, to make it work out.

I wasn't sure if I could be the right kind of stay at home mom. The kind that you wonder how they get it all done.

I wasn't sure how life would be with out lunch breaks, making money, the brain jump of the corporate world. Let alone trying to handle two kids. I had had just Little P for so long. And when the fateful day came that I had to march into my company and legally resign, it was not anywhere near as hard as I thought it would be.

You see, a while ago a huge event happened to me, about 8 years ago now. It changed me, at my core. It made me see things very differently. Lust after things that I wouldn't have realized I was missing. I took one really big lesson away from those events. Don't waste a single moment. In a few days I will be turning 30. I cannot tell you how many of my wrinkle fearing friends have been freaking out for me, I suppose some one has to, God knows, I'm not going to do it.

I say, bring it on. Bring on the age, that means that I am lucky enough to share more time with my family. Bring on the laugh lines, that means I am lucky enough to have happiness and laughter in my life. Bring on the gray hair, well maybe not gray just yet! Bring it on, I am so thankful for every day that I get to spend looking in to the brown eyes of my little ones., while being wrapped up in the arms of my amazing husband.

Today was one of those days, the kind that you will never forget, a Moment. I have lots of moments with Little P. I am building more and more moments with Boots. Today, after working in the house for a little while, after lunch, Boots and I took a walk about side and ended up in our back yard. You have not lived until you have laid on a blanket, so close to your 3 year old you can feel him breathing, as he is telling you this huge story, with amazing details about the clouds that you are watching roll by. That my friends, is a moment. And all of the paychecks, and all of the lunch breaks and all of the climbing of the corporate ladder in the world could not equal that hour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home