Saturday, May 20, 2006

I only have room for useful stuff



In my house I really only have room and patience for useful stuff. I really, really, really love dishes. Waaaaay more than I should. I love cake platters and glass bowls and stem ware. I love serving platters and butter dishes. I own way tooo much of all of this. But for me it's all useful, at one point. It is the stuff that clutters my home, that has no real purpose other than to make me dust more, that drives me crazy.

A lot of things for me serve double duty. My old enamel colander serves as a vintage fruit bowl as well as a colander. My glass pyrex pans see just as much cake and rolls as it does oven baked crispy chicken (Which by the way, I have the most fantastic recipe for, it's fool proof and it's baked, that was enough to sell me. We don't do fried). So in order to survive in this house you have got to serve a purpose and if possible, more than one.

I don't, however, feel that way about salt and pepper shakers. I know, I know, it doesn't make any sence. But they are a vice for me, and I love them. All sizes and shapes.

I was moving some stuff around in my laundry room, wiping down some shelves and look what I found tucked safely away on the back of the shelf.


Are they not just the cutest things you have ever seen? I have no idea what possessed me to put them there in the first place, but it was an exciting discovery. It's killing Boots that he can't play with them. Try explaining that to a three year old. Little P just wants to salt and pepper everything, whether you should or not!

Do you have any interesting salt and pepper shakers hanging around your place?

2 Comments:

Blogger ...just-rambling... said...

Although I don't have anything rally unique in salt and pepper shakers (ducks and lighthouses), there is a diner/icecream place called George's in Lima that has unique salt and pepper shakers on each table. If you're ever in the area stop by for their homemade strawberry shortcake!

5:24 PM  
Blogger ...just-rambling... said...

ooops...I meant really and not rally.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home